Is Your Home Making You Sick?

House Thermostat ControlWhile you may think of your well-insulated home as a good thing for protecting your family from the elements, it may also be contributing to factors which could make your family sick. As you open doors and windows to the outside, millions of airborne particles enter your home. These particles, ranging from allergens and chemicals to bacteria and viruses, become trapped in your home with nowhere to escape. As a result, this contaminated air is continually recirculated through your air vents leaving you and your loved ones exposed. Well-insulated homes are also more likely to foster humid environments which can cause air quality problems of their own, allowing airborne particles to live longer in ideal conditions—not to mention the growth of mold and other microbial particles. This can lead to severe allergic reactions and sickness for your family, and are especially unhealthy for those who suffer from asthma.

The Truth About Mold

While we may not realize it, mold can be lurking nearly anywhere if the conditions are right. Dark, humid areas are especially ideal, allowing mold to thrive and grow with nearly no nourishment. Even if you can’t see it, mold can release harmful spores into the air which are dangerous for your family to inhale. While a mold spore is considered a tiny microbe, it can quickly multiply into millions which is a serious health hazard.

Your air conditioning equipment and ductwork are ideal locations for mold to grow due to dark, damp conditions which can be found internally. As a result, millions of mold spores will be transferred into the air through your home’s ventilation system when the air conditioning is in use. Prolonged exposure to mold can lead to aggravated symptoms associated with allergies, asthma, and other severe respiratory conditions such as hypersensitivity pneumonitis.

Along with its health effects, mold can cause severe air conditioning maintenance problems such as clogged drains, reduced airflow, and dirty coils. This can ultimately reduce efficiency and increase energy use. An indoor air quality specialist can help you walk through available solutions for mold removal.

Using UVC Technology

With our years of experience in indoor air quality solutions, we have determined that the best way to remove mold from the HVAC system is with Ultraviolet (UV) light. UV light is measured on a broad spectrum, with that along the “C” band (UVC) being considered appropriate for germicidal applications. Its successful use in killing germs in hospitals and laboratories has now been applied for home use.

When installed into your heating and cooling system, the energy from the UVC light suppresses the germ’s DNA, preventing it from spreading, or killing it altogether. This technology is recommended to those who find mold growing within their air conditioning system, and works to effectively remove mold buildup on the system’s coils.

Choosing an Air Filter

Filter the air to protect your family.

Chances are that your home’s heating and cooling system uses a basic air filter, which was recommended for your system type. While these filters are good for catching certain particles and preventing them from clogging the equipment itself, they do little in the way of protecting your family from harmful airborne irritants. Today there are a number of specialized filters which are designed to capture these irritants including allergens, bacteria, and viruses. These filters capture the particles and prevent them from being circulated into the ventilation system of your home when your air conditioning is in use. We have a number of filter options, including washable and reusable ones, and even those which are used to sanitize the air in hospital operating rooms.